The categories in this section covers guidance on flights, accommodation, car rental, restaurants, tours, etc and also highlights some of the wide range of activities available in Cape Town. We have been very careful to only include and promote reputable individuals and companies many of which we have had personal experience of. In most cases we can arrange, secure bookings or refer you to the local Cape Town company.
Please use the CONTACT US page should you require assistance with bookings or any other individual requirements.
|Restaurant Guide Description
Capetonians love to "Eat Out" and as a result there are literally many thousands of eating establishments in Cape Town itself, and the surrounding suburbs.Some restaurants rival the sophistication of the very best in the world and others offer amazing dining experiences. All are in a position to provide exceptional quality,a high standard of sevice and of course great value for money.
The quality and freshness of produce plays a large part in menu offering with many restaurants,hence why it tastes so good ! Also, if it is not "in Season" it will not be served.As you would expect there is an array of different cuisine types from African to Asian, Cape Malay to Chinese, French to Fusion, Indian to Italian, Steaks to Sushi, Thai to Traditional...and everything else in between.
THINGS TO NOTE
1-Booking and Paying- The better restaurants get booked up quite quickly so making a reservation is advisable. Paying cash or with most major credit cards is normal. No cheques are taken.
2- Tipping- This is not usually added to your bill***& and it is normal for you to add 10%. If the service is exceptional then add 15% ... but no more.
If you are in groups of 6,8,10+ some restaurants will automatically add 10% to your bill.
Please remember the tip you give is the Waitrons wages. They get very little or nothing at all from the restaurant.
*** PLEASE NOTE - With effect from mid 2007 some restaurants, mainly the larger ones will automatically add 5% service charge to you bill. This is because their retained waitrons now come under the minimum wage legislation. So you then only have to add 5% tip. (making the total 10% )
3- Bring Your Own Wine- A favourite habit for Capetonians. The locals have access to over 300+ wine estates and they are very picky about which label they prefer. Also, buying wine locally rather than pay restaurant prices is a big issue here.
Most restaurants do not mind BYO wine but will generally charge a small corkage fee.
4-Wine- For overseas visitors there is a whole new world that opens up with South African wine. The quality can rival or exceed many that you are used to. Also,virtually all South African wine represents excellent value for money.
5-Smoking- South Africa has strict laws against smoking in public places. Restaurants must either be smoke free or provide a suitable seperate smoking area
It is almost impossible to list every restaurant, cafe, fast food outlet and bars that are in the Cape.Since our time here we have found by trusting the locals we have eaten at some excellent places and have then stumbled accross others that are equally as good.
There are still many places we would like to visit and we use the following websites to help us ---
www.eatout.co.za and www.dining-out.co.za
In the subcategories / names below we have listed a small selection of "Our Favourites",so far, which we feel you may enjoy while in Cape Town.